Wednesday, September 16, 2015

FIRST IRISH "NO"

OK, NOW I'M GETTING DISCOURAGED

     I suppose it's a little ridiculous, since I have fourteen Festivals I haven't heard from and of the seven I HAVE heard from, I was accepted into two, but again, I consider online Festivals to be a different animal.  BUT I just got a rejection letter from the Kerry Film Festival in Ireland.

    Now, could I have ATTENDED it had I gotten in?  Probably not, but that's not the point. With every "no thank you" letter I get, I start to wonder if any of the people I know who've seen the movie would have said anything as positive about it if somebody else had made it. I don't think anyone is lying to me, but I feel like I'm kinda cradled in the safe warmth of a small circle of people who all have the same feature of "Know and Like Matt" so they may all have the same criteria, which may be totally different from the criteria of the people watching the movie at these Festivals have I gone on a long enough run-on sentence and do I sound crazy and paranoid yet?

    Incidentally, I AM working on other things. I feel like this blog can be read as the slow ramblings of a man who has created one short project and has attached all his hopes and dreams to it and if it doesn't make him successful, he'll get bitter and give up.

   AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS!!!!

   No, no, no.  I've actually been directing THIS IS OUR YOUTH by Kenneth Lonergan for the North Hollywood Fringe Festival.... well, I'm not sure the North Hollywood Fringe Festival exists, actually.... but they have a website and supposedly it starts join October, just before we open.  So: yay?  But it's been a great experience. Most of the shows I've been doing have been comedies - mostly broad comedies (y'know: comedies with ladies in them. Badumbum.). But TIOY is very different - very real, done in near realtime. I was actually scared I would screw it up, which is why I pushed so hard to get the job directing it. (Oh, and I'm not producing this one, either! It's the second major directing gig I get paid for that I'm not fiscally responsible for!! ... "For which I am not fiscally responsible."... whichever.)

   And I'm starting an acting class in October! It's been discussed many MANY times in the past, but now's the time. Almost chickened out early, as I researched other acting classes online, found one that looked very similar to what I would do, and offered to work FOR them. I was invited to a free audit of a class and realized: "Oh, Jesus, I can so do this." The teacher and the students were talented and able, but already I was sure I could do at LEAST as good a job.  Great feeling, actually! Except that now I really have no more excuses. So, here comes HIGH STAKES ACTING WORKSHOP with Matt Ritchey and Rebecca Lane!



   Beki has been one of my best friends for YEARS and we used to moderate a Shakespeare Workshop together at Theatre West for a couple of years as well. We work quite well together and had considered starting up a class "for fun and profit" before the Summer, and now that I was hell-bent on doing it, I figured I should definitely keep that promise. The hope (and expectation) is that things go well, we get extra people interested, and we start a few new classes next year. That will be amazing!!!

   Especially when I have to hand her the reigns to go solo one weekend because HOMESCHOOL REUNION was accepted into Sundance!!!!!!!




...full circle... craziness showing again... finishes post... The end.


No comments:

Post a Comment